Basic Principles of Shorinji Kempo :
The 6 characteristics that distinguish Shorinji Kempo are:
- Ken Zen Ichinyo (Body and Mind are the Same) – Ken refers to the body and Zen to the spirit. Shorinji Kempo Kenshi should seek to develop both body and mind.
- Riki Ai Funi (Strength and Love Stands together) – Strength supported by Love, and Love supported by Strength. The condition, in which the two apparently opposites are unified as one, is what a man’s way of thinking and acting should have as the core.
- Shushu Koju (Defend First, Attack After) – Shorinji Kempo is a method of self-defense. Its techniques start with a defense against the opponent’s attack.
- Kumite Shutai (Pair work is Fundamental) – In Shorinji Kempo training, there are two roles; offender to attack the partner, and the defender to protect him/herself from the offend. Cooperation among the two is the most important requirement for an improvement.
- Fusatsu Katsujin (Protect People Without Injury) – Never seek fighting. Protect your body. Just hurting people is not the purpose of learning Shorinji Kempo.
- Goju Ittai (Hard and Soft work only Together) – Attacks from an opponent differ, to which we should counterattack accordingly. Goho refers primarily to strikes and kicks and Juho refers to releases and joint reverses. We practice both in Shorinji Kempo.
Source : perkemi.or.id